Thursday, February 17, 2011

Inspiration

I've been doing a whole lot of inspirational reading the last few weeks, to try and find something I can twist to work with my AD&D 2e game. Though I read a lot of fantasy stuff, I don't find that material working its way into my campaigns. When I read things, a lot of my inspiration comes from the characters in the literature. The personalities and conflicts make for good starting points, and from there it is easy to piece together a fully-formed character. The boastful general that is secretly a coward? Jack Gladney from Don DeLillo's White Noise. The shy character that is terrifying in battle? Robert Cohn from Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. The insane, religious, sexist dictator? Commander Fred from Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. There's so much material out there it can be hard to keep track of, but that's part of the fun.

One of my favorite characters of all (besides Capain Ahab, of course) would be Minister Hooper from Hawthorne's The Minister's Black Veil. Over the course of a few pages, the character goes from a kindly minister to a ghoulish presence amongst the townsfolk, a sinister character that is shunned for his choices in clothing. The character is so interesting and so well-written that he makes for a really interesting fellow to pull ideas from.

I've always had a hard time with settings, rather than characters. I can't design a city worth a crap, but I can populate them pretty well, I like to think. I get to introduce a character I've been working on for a while during tomorrow's game, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

For now, it's back to statting up some monsters. Boatloads of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment